Martin’s Chocolatier is an independent chocolate company that offers handmade chocolates sourced from a wide range of internationally-renowned artisan chocolatiers. They sell online through their website and on Amazon.
Ahead of Easter 2022, with COVID-19 restrictions lifted and supermarkets reopened, Martin’s was facing fierce competition on Amazon from established brands such as Hotel Chocolat, Cadbury, and Nestle.
They came to Fluid to help them stand out against these household names and exceed their year-on-year performance on Amazon. The overarching goal for the brand was to deliver growth at a profitable ACoS in the UK marketplace.
Having reviewed the account and the previous year's performance, the targets were set at:
- +100% YoY ad revenue growth
- +150% YoY New-To-Brand Sales
- 20% Advertising Cost of Sales (ACoS)
Our strategy was to use advertising to improve visibility on relevant and appropriate Easter terms, as well as increasing brand awareness and growing the customer base by delivering and growing New-To-Brand Sales.
We planned to start planting seeds in people's minds in advance of Easter to increase their familiarity with Martin's Chocolatier.
Campaign & Results
What did we do?
- Marketing for Amazon
- Advertising for Amazon
To prepare we:
- Researched and analysed competitors, the wider market and other shopping channels
- Conducted an audit of Martin's current brand store and advertising performance to identify opportunities for optimisation
- Identified with the client what products they wanted to push and the best combination of ad tactics to run
With this information, we then:
- Ran Sponsored Product Ads (SP) to catch early browsers for Easter egg terms and start populating product viewers. By doing so, we are able to increase awareness of the brand and products
- Harvested relevant keywords and ASINs from Sponsored Product Ads before expanding our campaign coverage across the other campaign and ad types as we started to see the searches and volume of advertisers grow
- Used data from the campaigns, internal tools and Amazon’s recommendations and SERP to supplement our competitor targeting campaigns
- Ran brand protection campaigns to defend our product detail page from other advertisers.
- Expanded our reach by targeting shoppers who looked at “Easter Eggs”, “Chocolate Boxes & Gifts” and “Chocolate Gifts” categories
- Launched Sponsored Display’s Views Remarketing campaign just before Easter to capture the previous category, advertised eggs and similar product viewers with a lookback period of 7, 14 and 30 days
What are the results?
As a result of our strategy, Martin’s earned two highly coveted Amazon badges, “Bestseller” and “Amazon’s Choice”, for key terms such as ‘easter egg’ and ‘easter egg hunt chocolate’.
In total, the campaign delivered +282.29% YoY revenue growth, which far surpassed the clients’ goals and expectations.
- +282.29% YoY growth
- +546% YoY New to Brand Sales
- 19.86% Advertising Cost of Sales
- Martin’s Chocolatier earned the coveted Best Seller badge for “easter egg” and “easter eggs” for one product
- Amazon’s Choice Badge for “easter egg hunt chocolate” and “easter eggs” for one product